facebook pinterest twitter

Monday, December 7, 2009

Advent Calendar: Days 3-8

The last few days have been insanely busy, which is precisely why I've been happy to have this advent calendar. I haven't had the time to blog, in fact, we haven't had time to do much of anything. We've done a lot of running back and forth between the cities and our homes, I took an unexpected (but welcome) freelance job over the week/weekend, attended a wedding, etc. Yet, in the middle of all of it, we've had time each day to stop at the advent calendar and take a moment to remember what this season is all about. Although the items in the pockets aren't all about Jesus, there is an anticipation and excitement and it's an outlet to talking about just what that means.

On day 3, Rosemary found a miniature bag of M&Ms. For the sake of economics, we just used leftover Halloween candy.

On day 4, I was sadly out of town while Joel was with Rosemary. We had planned in advance to give her the book The Night Before Christmas. My mom gave her this book for her first Christmas, it's a different version of it ... but the same book. There are really a million different versions of it and most of them are pretty good. When I grew up, it was a tradition for my mom to read us this book on Christmas Eve and I intend to continue this tradition with my family. We gave Rosemary this book so early in the season to help prepare her for a play she'd be seeing later.

On day 5, Joel gave Rosemary a little stuffed animal. Its a frog with a santa hat. See? It's nothing special, but exciting for a 3-year-old. And we are not breaking any banks to do this. The frog is simply a Christmas decoration that we've had for years.

Day 6 presented Rosemary with another book, O Come, All Ye Faithful. This book is truly a classic Christmas book. We found it at the library last year and we all loved it so much that Rosemary gave it to Joel as a Christmas present. I highly recommend it.

Day 7 was a special day. My mom decided months ago that she wanted to take her two oldest grandchildren (Rosemary and my nephew, Grayson) to see Twas the Night Before Christmas at the Stages Theatre Company. And, well, the rest of us thought it was such a good idea that we crashed the party. On this day, when Rosemary went to her advent calendar, she learned she would be going to see a special play. It really was a lot of fun for everyone. I didn't get any pictures, but my mom should be sending me some soon. Rosemary was so enthralled with the singers and dancers and informed me that when she grows up, she is going to sing on that very stage. Sounds like fun to me!

Today, day 8, we knew we were going to pick out our Christmas tree, so Rosemary found a drawing of a Christmas tree in the calendar today. The tree is in the living room thawing out as we speak. I'll post pictures soon.
Day 7: Christmas tree

No comments:

Post a Comment