facebook pinterest twitter

Wednesday, December 9, 2009

Advent Calendar: Day 8

Somehow in the last post I lost track of the days. And since my math skills are sorely lacking, I'm not even going to bother with fixing it. So, yesterday was the 8th day of our advent calendar and Rosemary awoke in the morning to find a Tinkerbell ornament in her calendar.

She ran right over to hang it up on the tree and couldn't wait to hang the rest of the ornaments up. Fortunately, she did a good job practicing patience, because I made her wait until Joel came home from work to do the decorating.

She had so much fun looking at all the different ornaments, and hanging some of them up. I emphasize the word some, because true to the character of a first/only child, she is a perfectionist and grew easily frustrated when the ornament didn't hang up right.

Regardless, it was definitely a fun family event.





I think it's interesting that once we were finished decorating, we remembered a couple of traditions that we had forgotten. Every year since we've been married, we've put strings of popcorn on the tree. I was looking at the tree after it was decorated and couldn't get over why it looked so odd to me, and then I remembered! We also forgot to hang some wooden cranberry strings that we have.

We made up for it by making extra tinsel balls and throwing them on the tree. Do any of you do tinsel balls? What sorts of Christmas tree traditions do you try to keep?

2 comments:

  1. Your new place looks nice! Maybe one day I can see it.

    My mom always strung those silvery stars you can get at Michael's on the tree - I find myself doing it every year, too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's a coincidence, I do tinsel balls too! This year I added two feathery chicken ornaments, but that created a bit of a problem for Dottie.

    ReplyDelete