facebook pinterest twitter

Monday, April 16, 2012

On Mistakes, Birthdays, and Invitations

I've spent the last few weeks working on a spring sweater for the little girl in my life and had hoped that today would be the day to post all the beautiful pictures of the completed project ... But, I'll be honest. Even as I was knitting the sweater, and mentally composing the blog entry, I was planning to include a little something about how I need to take a break from knitting. I have so many things that I've been wanting to sew (but I put it off because sewing is a lot messier than knitting) - and I don't know if it's because I'm a mom, or because I'm American, or because what? - but knitting makes me feel kind of lazy. Especially as spring is springing, and I'm sitting on the couch or outside on the porch or wherever I am ... just sitting (never mind that I'm making clothes).

So, anyway. The moment came when I finished the first sleeve and asked Rosemary to try it on, just to make sure I'd made the sleeve to my desired length. What I saw did not bring joy to my eyes. I knitted the yoke too long. The thing is, I KNEW I knitted the yoke too long and stupidly decided that it would be just fine because I wanted a little extra length in the sweater. It didn't occur to me then, it didn't occur to me after I had Rosemary try the yoke on, no - it didn't occur to me until I was 95% done with the sweater that making the yoke too long will result in armpits that start just above her waist.

And that's as far as I'm going to go on that topic for the day, because I'm not sure I can stay nice and christian, and keep all my wholesome family followers if I talk about it any more. Pictures will be posted at a later date.

What I'm going to talk about today is the fact that my littlest, oldest, and only child is about to turn 6. This is another one of those things that I'm having trouble processing, and promise to write about at a later date. Fortunately, this isn't a post about all the mental issues I'm having. Rather, it's a post about my weekly project.

Which is invitations. I felt a little torn about how to go about my daughter's birthday party. My husband and I have had lots of conversations about how I grew up celebrating birthdays, how he grew up celebrating birthdays, and how we are going to celebrate birthdays with our kid(s). Add to the factor that this year we are in a pretty new place, don't know a whole lot of people, and while my child has made a bunch of friends at school and what-not, I don't know many of their parents, didn't want any hurt feelings, and so on and so forth. Our dilemma was solved when I saw a groupon for a children's theater company, kind of far away from our house, but close to where we go to church and have a lot of old friends. The groupon (maybe it was living social?) was practically giving away birthday mystery party packages, Rosemary was thrilled at the idea, and it immediately made the decision that we would invite a few friends from church and a few old friends ... it also limited the amount of kids we could invite, which while I often think 'the more the merrier,' it helped me with the struggle I have with excessive celebration.

(I'm not even going to mention that I joyfully decided that we had to do something on her actual birthday, and have basically planned two parties now ... ah, someday I'll have this parenting thing figured out. Someday.)

So where was I? Ah, yes, invitations. The one thing the party package we bought did not provide was fun invitations. There was all sorts of bare bones information, and I got excited about making something fun and pretty. I started out searching etsy for fairy/gnome clipart and ended up purchasing this and this.

Each kid received an email with a TON of attachments. First, the invitation (I took out a few details for the purpose of not everyone online needs to know where her party is located:-).


Next, each child gets a very important announcement from the mayor explaining that the magic fairy dust is missing and must be found before disaster invades the town of Tinkerville. 


Finally, each child gets a personalized character card with details about who they will be. Rosemary got to assign each friend to a character, and it was really fun watching and listening to her process as she made the assignments. 

Here is an example of a fairy character card.


And here is an example of a gnome character card.


It would have been a lot of fun to print these out and mail them. I grew up loving mail, and struggled a little with sending these through email. However, time and budget won out in the end.

Looks like a good time, don't you think? I'll be sure to tell you all about how much fun we had at the party ... after the party takes place.


No comments:

Post a Comment