facebook pinterest twitter

Tuesday, March 27, 2012

A Snood!

When I learned that I would be moving away, last summer, my extremely awesome and generous knitting group seriously gave me a STASH of knitting supplies. They gave me a gift certificate to our local yarn store (which at the time was sadly going out of business, but had much for sale at 75% off), a couple of knitting books, and what has quickly become a favorite yarn: a skein of Misti Alpaca 100% Baby Alpaca Chunky. They also gave me a nameless/authorless pattern that I cannot find anywhere else, and would like to share with you. I thought this would likely end up as a gift, but I actually like it so much I'm not sure I can give it away ...

And here's the pattern for the snood!

Yarn: 1 skein of Misti Alpaca 100% Baby Alpaca Chunky (contrast yarn, if you want the drawstring to be a different color).
Needles: 16" Circular Needles, Size 11

Cast on 64 stitches with a single strand of yarn. Begin working in the round immediately.
Rounds 1-4: *k2, p2; repeat from * to end
Rounds 5-8: *k2, p2; repeat from * to last 3 sts, end k2, p1
Rounds 9-12: *p2, k2; repeat from * to end
Rounds 13-16: k1, *p2, k2; repeat from * to last 3 sts, end p2, k1

Repeat rounds 1-16 to 10" and bind of in knit.

The pattern I was given has you making the drawstring cord as follows: Reserve approximately 1 yard of yarn. Tie a slipknot at one end and chain to the end. Thread this chain through the top of the hat, about 1" from either end.

I chose to make an I-Cord using 3 stitches. I made it to my desired length and then weaved it throughout, about an inch from the top, and spacing the cord an inch apart until it met in the middle. I made it long enough to hang down about 4 inches on each side (when shaped as a snood).

No comments:

Post a Comment