facebook pinterest twitter

Saturday, March 26, 2011

Baby Blanket

An old high school and college BFF, Summer (who is becoming slightly famous on this blog), had a baby shower today. These days she lives clear across the country from me, so it was a rare opportunity to see her and rub her gorgeous little pregnant belly .

I've been thinking about what I was going to give her for her baby shower since the day she told me she was pregnant. Of course the right answer was probably something practical, but at the same time, I make things.

So I bought her a baby sling and made her a blanket. Back when Rosemary was small enough, Summer would make fun of me for always carrying my little girl in a "hippy" sling. She will soon learn what a lifesaver a sling can be and how wonderful it is to carry your child close to you, rather than plopping them in a bucket. And then I made her this blanket.

I think the fabric is Amy Butler, but I'm not sure. I bought it last summer and didn't pay too much attention to anything but that I liked it a lot. Never in a million years did I think it would turn into a baby blanket, but when I was trying to figure out the colors, I kept coming back to it. Summer knows she is having a girl and sometimes I think it's nice when little girls have things that aren't pink. The yellow fabric is Minkee, which is so soft I defy you not to love it.

I followed this tutorial on the juicy bits blog. It's not the first time I've used one of her tutorials and she writes them really well. In the past I have struggled with bias, and these instructions were pretty easy to follow.

Of course there are mistakes (my husband always tells me not to mention them, but I feel like it's nice to know that not everyone on the internet does everything to perfection), but I was really pleased with how it turned out.

I think some more of my friends should have babies so I can practice this blanket and perfect my skills with bias. Any takers?

No comments:

Post a Comment