facebook pinterest twitter

Friday, December 18, 2009

Guess who's learning to knit?


My friend Sally has been telling me about this place in Baxter called Among the Pines. The person who owns it basically gives free knitting lessons to anyone who comes in. Sally arranged it so we could both go in a little early last Friday, and let's just say I am nearly done with my second scarf. I think after Christmas I will have to move on to something more complicated.

A couple years ago my sister-in-law gave me some knitting needles and yarn for Christmas, and I tried knitting but just could not get the hang of it. I knitted and un-knitted more rows than I care to recount. I think the problem is that I was using crappy yarn (my sister-in-law gave me good yarn, but I didn't want to waste it, so I went and bought some practice yarn), and potentially that I was using metal needles.

Sue, from among the pines, highly recommended wooden needles, and I don't even know how to explain it ... there is just something deeply satisfying about manipulating them. I find it hard to put them down and I even brought them to church last Sunday.

1 comment:

  1. I learned to knit on crappy yarn and metal needles, too - once I switched to bamboo and real wool I couldn't believe the difference. I've tried to use up my old yarn, but I hate having sweaty hands while I knit.

    That's so cool you get free knitting lessons!

    ReplyDelete