facebook pinterest twitter

Thursday, February 5, 2009

This whole house-selling business has been pretty difficult and frustrating. And contrary to what I may have believed yesterday, today it is far from over.

I've been pretty frustrated with the people who are trying to buy our house. I don't know if they are greedy or if they have a greedy realtor giving them advice, or what. But, they simply seem greedy to me.

I know that I should not be surprised about this. Everyone is looking for a deal right now. Greed is a pretty strong principle of being American; greed is what got all of American into this economic mess in the first place. From my end, it's frustrating.

We bought our house 5 years ago. Despite nearly the whole world telling us to get a non-conventional, more-money-in-your-pocket loan, we went with our guts and got a responsible, conventional loan. We took good care of our house, paid all our bills, and drastically improved the condition of our house. We fell in love with our house and neighborhood, and made some life-long friends.

Yet, despite these responsible acts, we are in an incredibly tough spot. And I am frustrated because I feel like the buyers, the loan officers, the investors, the bankers don't realize that it's not just a house - it's a family.

I can't say that every single decision we have made was "wise." It probably wasn't wise to quit a stable job in the middle of a serious recession ... but I'm not sure keeping it and losing my sanity would have been "wise" either. (It's a whole 'nother story, but I sincerely believe I was on the edge of a nervous breakdown.) Regardless I don't think we "deserve" this and it's really given me a new outlook on all the crap that's going on in the world.

I think it's easy to drive down the street and assume that every 'for sale' sign is there because people made bad choices and deserve what they are getting. Our 'for sale' sign is there because my husband followed a job, and my daughter and I would like to be with him. There's a story there, human beings, people who just a need someone or something to throw them a line.

No comments:

Post a Comment