Ever since I started storing my sewing machine out in the open (in the dining room, in fact), I haven't been able to bear covering it with the cheap, white, plastic cover it came with. I realize it's been a year and a half since moving, and my sewing machine has been out for almost as long, but this is a project that I just kept pushing to the bottom of the list.
There are a lot of tutorials out there for this sort of thing, but I chose the one at Chez Larsson for it's simplicity. While I worked on this over a few days, I would say it didn't take much more than an hour to complete. However, as far as tutorials go, it's incredibly bare-bones and I truly had no idea how I was supposed to match the top piece, which is rounded, to the side pieces, which were rectangular.
I scratched my head a few times and then decided to just go for it and let it cinch up as I went around. In hindsight, if I had spent a little more time folding and turning, it might have worked out better. Regardless, it does the job, looks perfectly fine, and matches my mail sorter -- yep, that's in the dining room as well.